Download location maps
The Dana-operated Western Isles Project will develop two discovered oil fields called Harris and Barra in the Northern North Sea, 160km east of the Shetlands and 12km west of Tern field. It involves a subsea development of at least five production and four water injection wells plus two exploration wells tied back to a new build floating production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) with oil export using shuttle tankers.
UK Government sanction was granted in December 2012,drilling is expected to begin 2013 with subsea installation in summer 2014 and FPSO installation summer 2015. Plateau production is expected to be around 40,000 boepd, adding more than 30,000 boepd to Dana’s UK production. First oil is expected in 2015 and the estimated field life is 15 years.
Dana Petroleum’s Western Isles Development brought to life in new project film
The film takes us through project milestones from discovery to the construction of a new $400 million oil production vessel which will produce and store up to 40,000 barrels of oil a day from the North Sea by 2015.
The Dana-operated Western Isles project will develop two discovered oil fields called Harris and Barra in the Northern North Sea, 160km east of the Shetlands and 12km west of Tern field. It involves a subsea development of at least five production and four water injection wells plus two exploration wells tied back to a new build floating production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) with oil export using shuttle tankers.
The development is estimated to contain recoverable reserves of 45million barrels of oil equivalent and will significantly increase Dana’s UK production. The $1.6billion project demonstrates Dana’s commitment to the North Sea and is helping to secure the UK’s future energy needs. Once operational, the development will create approximately 200 new jobs and support hundreds of further opportunities in the UK supply chain. First steel has already been cut on the FPSO which is being constructed by the Chinese shipbuilder Cosco.
Drilling is expected to begin in 2013, FPSO installation in summer 2015 and first oil is expected in 2015 - the estimated field life is 15 years. Dana has an equity share of 77% in the project, and Japanese upstream exploration and production company Cieco holds the remaining 23%.
- Investment: $1.6 billion
- Partners: Dana Petroleum (operator with 77%) and Cieco (23%)
- Location: 160km east of Shetland and 5km south of the Hudson Field
- Fields: Development consists of two discovered oil fields Harris and Barra
- Depth: Fields lie in 165m of water at reservoir depth of 6,000ft
- Reserves: Estimated at 100 mmboe with 45 mmboe economically recoverable
- Production: Peak production rates expected to be c. 40,000 boepd
- Approval: Government approval received December 2012
- First oil: Expected in 2015
- Field life: Estimated to be 15 years
- Five production wells and four water injection wells
- Two eight-slot subsea production manifolds and associated flowlines
- Commingled reservoir fluids produced back to a new build FPSO
- FPSO will use Sevan Marine design technology, constructed by Cosco
- FPSO will be owned by Dana and Cieco
- Dana will operate the subsea facilities and pipelines
- Oil will be exported via shuttle tanker
- Up to three additional exploration wells planned
- Potential UK contractor content estimated to be 70% over 15 year field life
- Project will create up to 200 new jobs