OVERVIEW

Western Isles Development Project
The $2 billion Western Isles Development Project is the largest project currently being undertaken by the company.

The Dana-operated Western Isles Project will develop two discovered oil fields called Harris and Barra in the Northern North Sea, 160km east of the Shetlands and 12km west of Tern field.

It involves a subsea development of at least five production and four water injection wells tied back to a new build floating production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) with oil export using shuttle tankers.

UK Government sanction was granted in December 2012, drilling began in 2013 with subsea installation in summer 2014 and FPSO installation expected at a later date. Plateau production is expected to be around 40,000 boepd, adding more than 30,000 boepd to Dana’s UK production. The estimated field life is 15 years with the first oil expected in 2017.

arrow_downOpen all

Why we're doing this

arrow_up

Open

The Western Isles Development Project is pivotal to Dana’s future growth. At a cost of $2 billion, it is the largest project currently being undertaken by the company and demonstrates Dana’s commitment to the North Sea. It is also Dana’s first end-to-end exploration and production project. By successfully delivering first oil, Dana is taking a major step towards being an operated rather than non-operated business. The project will ultimately deliver 40,000 barrels of oil a day, helping secure the UK’s future energy needs. Once operational, the development will bring hundreds of new jobs and create valuable opportunities for UK companies.

Fast facts

arrow_up

Open

  • Investment: $2 billion
  • Partners: Dana Petroleum (operator with 77%) and Cieco (23%)
  • Location: 160km east of Shetland and 5km south of the Hudson Field
  • Fields: Development consists of two discovered oil fields Harris and Barra
  • Depth: Fields lie in 165m of water at reservoir depth of 6,000ft
  • Reserves: Estimated at 100 mmboe with 45 mmboe economically recoverable
  • Production: Peak production rates expected to be c. 40,000 boepd
  • Approval: Government approval received December 2012
  • Field life: Estimated to be 15 years
  • First oil: Expected in 2017

Location maps

arrow_up

Open

WIDP maps

Development concept

arrow_up

Open

  • Five production wells and four water injection wells
  • Two eight-slot subsea production manifolds and associated flowlines
  • Commingled reservoir fluids produced back to a new build FPSO
  • FPSO will use Sevan Marine design technology, constructed in China by China Ocean Shipping Company (COSCO)
  • FPSO will be owned by Dana and CIECO
  • Dana will operate the subsea facilities and pipelines
  • Oil will be exported via shuttle tanker
  • Up to three additional exploration wells planned
  • Potential UK contractor content estimated to be 70% over 15 year field life
  • Project will create up to 200 new jobs

Our Joint Venture partner

arrow_up

Open

Dana’s Joint Venture partner in the Western Isles Development Project is Japanese upstream exploration and production company Cieco (http://www.cieco.co.uk/). Dana has an equity share of 77% and CIECO holds the remaining 23%.